So another week has come to a close here in Mizoram. As I think about what to write, I feel as though all I have to say is "same old, same old." But perhaps that thought is the new topic to write about for the week. It seems that after about a month and a half, I have slowly become adjusted to my life here in Mizoram. Driving through the streets of Aizawl, eating in local resturaunts, no A/C, showering with a bucket, etc have all become part of my normal life. It's crazy to think that many things I felt were standard parts of my lifestyle have become non-essentials now.
I've grown accustomed to concrete walls, Indian television stations, daily monsoon rains, and broken english. But I've truly enjoyed my time here thus far and it is still shocking to think that in 4 weeks I will leave here for mainland India. My time here has been filled with lots of self-reflection which has provided me with a better understanding of myself and my interactions with the world. After my first year of seminary I had a lot to process, I think I finally got a chance to do that which has been a blessing.
In the past month I've read the prophets Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Amos, and Obadiah. I've been challenged by their social vision, words on forgiveness, and boldness in truth. I think their words have shaped my outlook as well and I have to be thankful for that.
This week my life in Mizoram takes a shift as Principal, her son John (whose become a good friend of mine), and her daughter Judith (who has been a new friend as well) all leave to travel to Canada for Judith's wedding. Since I have shared almost every meal with this family, it will be quite different to not have them around. In addition, Judith lives in Canada so today will be the last time I see her. Principal and John return the first week of August which happens to be the last week I am in Mizoram. I am sad that our time together is coming to a close but I am very thankful for all the time we have had together. Principal took me into her home like family and I am grateful for that.
The rest of my week finds me going about the usual itinerary. I have four English classes to teach, a pre-emptive sermon to prepare, and a backpacking trip to plan. English class is still going well, I've now started to switch the focus from grammar to speech so hopefully the students continue to grow from that. Also, in about 2.5 weeks I'm suppose to present a 10-11 page research paper at the AICS Faculty-Student Day. Since copies of my paper will be given to all students and faculty in addition to it undoubtedly being used as a model for everyone, I've decided to edit a research paper I wrote previously so that my work will be good quality.
So as you can see, a "normal week" actually encompasses a lot. Yesterday I counted that in the month I've been here I've spoken 13 times(7 sermons, 6 messages). Rev Zolawma told me that I've spoken more times in one month than he has in a year haha. Come to think of it, I probably need to prepare for my classes tomorrow. I hope all is well back in the states. And if you're a Spanish futbol fan or a Miami Heat fan, I'm sure you're week is going very well.
pax et bonum
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment