Monday, July 19, 2010

Dinners & Perspectives

Unlike previous weeks here in Mizoram, this past week seemed to move by very slowly. Of course, considering that the summer is suppose to be my break from the stresses of academic life I can't really complain. The ease of the week was due in part to my supervisor, Rev. Zolawma, being gone and Principal Hnuni leaving as well. As a result, I spent most of my week meeting with people and preparing for my classes.

Although I was sad to see Principal leave, her absense has opened new doors for me. While she was at AICS, Principal always had me join her and her family for meals. Now that she is gone, other faculty members and even students are inviting me to eat with them. So that's been a fun experience. Everyone here is so impressed that I'm able to eat Mizo food without problems and that I take my meals by using my hands like everyone else.

One night, Professor Ronmingliani had myself and another student over for dinner. She studied for about 5 yrs in the UK so she made a "Western" meal for us one night. We had chicken, mashed potatoes, corn with green beans, and peas. For a moment I thought I was back in the South haha. Afterwards, the three of us had a long discussion on the role of women in the church. I never realized how much of a feminist I am until I arrived here and have been an advocate for women in the ministry. I also didn't realize how much random information is stuck up in my head. I feel like the computer who wore tennis shoes. Students will ask me about the history of the decline of the church in Europe, my theology of Scripture or missiology, the changing view of marriage in the US, etc. I'll begin to answer talking about cultural trends, theological shifts, key leaders, etc. then stop and think to myself, "how did I know that?" Guess I actually did pay attention in class all those years at Baylor. Naw, I probably just saw that stuff on TV haha.

I've also eaten with the students in the dorm (or "hostel" as it's called here) a couple times. That's been an interesting experience and opened my eyes up a lot. The first funny thing is how quiet the students are when they eat. Mizos, as I've noticed, are much more comfortable sitting in silence with one another than Americans are. The cafeteria is no different as students eat silently then rush off to the next event. The daily schedule here is so packed that student eat very quickly (15-20 mins) then head off to class or worship service.

In the States, I think students really take for granted all the services that are provided for them. At PTS, I've really made it a point to get to know the cafeteria staff, cleaning people, etc. because I am thankful for all their work. But being here takes my gratitude to another level. Students at AICS are responsible for serving the food, preparing and cleaning the dining hall, and washing dishes. That's on top of the gardening (which entails literally cutting the grass with knives because there are no lawn mowers here), picking up trash, helping with building projects, and more. I would imagine that US students would not attend a seminary where the students did all the maintenance work (admittedly I might not be soo keen on the idea) but here everyone does the work because that's what you have to do in order to get an education.

So the next time you're walking around the office, at your house, the mall, or wherever, stop and take the 30 secs required to say hello and thank you to the people who make your life work. The security guard, the cleaning people, the gardeners, etc. Just like you, they're doing a tough job and probably so you don't have to. So say thanks at least. But even better if you get to know them. When you treat everyone with dignity and respect, the world will look a whole lot different.

Anyways, aside from my sermonette, this week Rev. Zolawma has returned so life might return to a quick pace. I have a lot of trips to make in the next 3 weeks before I leave. I hope to visit some rural villages and also visit the social work programs around Aizawl. Also, I need to finish editting my paper for the faculty-student seminar. Then in a month, I'll be standing in front of the Taj...my life is ridiculous. Well, I guess that's all the updates I have for you. Have a good week.

pax et bonum

No comments: