Well hello there, remember me? I'm that guy who's blog you occassionally read and I occassionally update? Haha, it feels like it's been forever since the last time I've posted a blog. I'll see what I can do in this post.
As of last week, it's been 3 months since I first landed in India. The mile-mark not only demonstrates the length of time I've been in India, but also how long India has been influencing me. I am, admittedly (and slightly proudly), no longer a tourist in India. I have certain mannerisms and phrases which have clearly been picked up in my travels. I've become slightly familiar with the various cultures that make up the tapestry called India. And yet, I'm still very much a stranger here. Not a tourist and not a resident, I live in this in between place where I talk Indian politics with Indians and yet will never fully understand what it truly means to be Indian.
Yet the thought of the day is: What does it mean to "be Indian?" This is an answer which is difficult, if not impossible, to answer. Punjabis and Bengalis have different dialects, customs, and outlooks. What was fashionable for men in Uttar Pradesh was thought as feminine in Punjab. The language of the Tamils is not shared by those in Delhi. Even my Mizo friends are considered "fake Chinese" rather than true Indians. So if language, customs, religion, appearance, etc are not shared amongst Indians, what does it really mean to be Indian? For that matter, what does it mean to be anything? Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, African Americans, European Americans, etc are all incredible different. So what does it mean to be American? But these differences are dwarfed when compared to the diversity of India. A diversity which is both the strength and weakness of the nation. Only time will tell if these differences can be unified in a diversity which allows the nation to prosper.
Insofar as my life is concerned, I spent a relaxing week in Delhi with my Mizo brothers. Contrary to my original expectations, Dr. Thanzauva was still in Aizawl meaning on John and Mapuia were there. Staying with John (28) and Mapuia (21) was like being back in college. We stayed up until 2 am watching movies, debating, and talking about our celebrity "girlfriends." After two weeks of traveling, there was something nourishing to the soul to be amongst people who could joke about silly things with or debate some issue in music. I really enjoyed being with them and it was hard to leave them behind in Delhi.
Now I'm here in Kolkata for the last 3 days of my time in India. Kolkata is a very different city than Delhi. Kolkata has 14 million people all crammed together in a city 4 times too small for its population. And its incredibly hot here which complicates the matter. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying myself and being reminded of both why I will miss India and why I'll be happy to return. My hotel is part of a Mizo community here in Kolkata and my room literally overlooks Mother Teresa's charity. My plan is to see the Victorian Memorial (a remnant of the British rule in India) and a couple of traditional Kolkata sites. Then on Thursday I hop on a plane and head back to the States.
I'm looking forward to being back in the States and interested to see how my time in India has reshaped my understanding of the US. So many things are different here. I've grown accustomed to living without so many things which are considered essentials in the US (AC, hot water, showers, reliable electricity, washer & dryer, etc). At any rate, it'll be great to see family and friends again. Of course, I don't know how the seminary expects me to be adjusted and ready for classes to begin just two weeks later. But such is the life of a traveler I guess. I leave India only to begin the next adventure of Maximum Security Prison chaplaincy and Middler Year seminary studies. But such is life, each day we begin another adventure anew. What adventure are you off on today?
pax et bonum
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Son, it is so great that technology allows me to feel like I'm sitting here talking with you. Please let us know what Mother Teresa's charity looks like? To answer your question, I am off to help someone acheive the American dream of home ownership!:)) Team Almaguer will be at the airport to greet you when you arrive back home in Houston! Love Always, Mama
It's heart warming to see a friend of mine living in my home country for 3 months. Living there gives you a sense of appreciation for the simplicity of nature. You gain the ability to really sit back and enjoy the raw power of a sunset or an urban slum.
Glad to see life is going well for ya buddy. Take care.
Post a Comment